Sunday, June 17, 2012

Madagascar 3: Cirque du Afro



Comedic timing out the wazoo!

You thought the first two were advertised badly but turned out much funnier, well this one takes the cake. I loved the first movie, it had so many jokes whizzing past your ears that you have to watch it more than once to get them all. I loved the dance scene, the lemurs, and the penguins. Then came film number two, and I was NOT interested. Based on the previews I thought it looked silly and wouldn't be able to live up to the first (like many cartoon sequels. Lion King Two: Simba's Pride, for example). But I ended up watching it with my niece and found it to be delightful, if a tad too sentimental.

And once again, these previews stunk. The only reason I wanted to see the movie was to enjoy one more time the song and dance of Chris Rock working his circus Afro. But I assure you, this movie was much more than a circus Afro, it was a wonderful film!

You remember where the second one left off? Everyone's in Africa, meeting their own kind, and there's some strange interspecies relations forming. This movie starts off with the four zoo runaways following the penguins to Monte Carlo, en route to get back to their old home in New York. But Europe doesn't want a bunch of ferocious creatures running around, so a crazed red head French woman gets called in from animal control. She's obsessed with finding a lion to mount on her wall, and so she goes on a determined hunt worthy of the terminator to kill Alex the Lion. To avoid detection, Alex, Marty, Gloria, and Melmann hop a circus train and do their best to blend in.

If you enjoy the dazzling lights and musical numbers of the first movie, then I recommend you take the time and money to watch Madagascar 3. Don't forget to see it in 3D, that makes the circus perfomances all the more appealing. :D I want a rainbow Afro for Halloween this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment