Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ted: A Fuzzy Peter Griffin


The title of this movie reminds me of an 80's song. "...my name is Ted... and one day, I'll be Dead. Yo-yo..." Silly 80's music. 

There's only one kind of humor for Seth MacFarlane, and if you've seen American Dad, Family Guy, or Cleveland Show you already can guess at what humor I am referring to. It's a low brow bundle of jokes with several interchangeable pop culture references, where anyone's name could be inserted into the punchline and it would still make you laugh. The movie version of all Family Guy is ted, if you replace Bryan and Stewie with a talking stuffed animal. And since it's a movie, there's no FCC to keep Seth restricted.

If you like Family Guy, you'll laugh at ted. I laughed, probably pretty obnoxiously, throughout the whole film. It was a good story of childhood friends learning to grow up and let go, even if one of them is a magical talking teddy bear. The whole theater of cheapos (like me) who dropped in to catch a free movie, were cracking up so much I know I missed lots of jokes. But the plot and characters do not ask anything of you as a member of the audience. 

Honestly, I enjoyed the movie in a way that others did not. Seth MacFarlane made a movie using dumb screwball humor, that goes all over the place and has no point to it. It felt fresh to me because of that, almost like watching Airplane or BASEketball. 

So don't expect a masterpiece, and keep an open mind. I think you'll laugh and enjoy your evening. But this isn't a movie you need to see in theaters, wait for Netflix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment